Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane!

To the East-Coast-dwelling readers of this blog (who make up at least 80% of the readership): stay safe this week!  I've been reading about fierce Ms. Sandy (a NY Times reader posted that given the collective hysteria that the storm has induced, they should consider replacing its somewhat docile-sounding name with something more formidable, like Brunhilde).  Mostly, I'm just jealous that so many of you don't have work today (and possibly Tuesday as well).  Though I can't imagine either New York or DC is much fun without any public transportation.

The weather in Shanghai is as it has been for much of the last month -- partly sunny, partly hazy, high in the low 70s.  Can't complain.  Though as Yogi would say, it sure does get late early out here.  Thanks to China's single time zone (yes, that's right, the whole "one China" thing extends to things like time, even though China is about as wide as the US), the sun has already set here, and it's not even 5pm in October.  The sun also rises (apologies to Hemingway) at around 5am, which is bad news for me and my fairly transparent curtains.

In further proof that there are, in fact, Jews in Shanghai, I will be attending a free screening of the American movie Munich this evening as part of the Jewish Film Festival here.  It's free, very convenient to my office, and supposedly a very good movie to boot.

Anyway, stay dry and safe, everyone!  Please send me cool storm photos or stories, I'm kinda bummed to be missing the action.  Bonus points for windswept shots of Anderson Cooper in a yellow zonker.

No comments:

Post a Comment