Thursday, September 27, 2012

It's official: I'm Official

Remember the jungle of Chinese bureaucracy?  Remember how long ago I was complaining about it?  It appears as if, at long last, I am finally and thankfully done.  I am officially a legal resident of Shanghai.  This week proved fruitful on that front, as I received the following key documents:




First, I have a bank account!  I initially had posted a picture of it, which some of you saw, but then realized that probably wasn't a good idea from a security standpoint.  Thanks to Mike for pointing that out.  Anyway, I'm hoping that having a Union Pay (Chinese card company) card will let me swipe at more local establishments, many of which don't accept international cards.



Following in Mao's footsteps, I have my very own little red book now: an Alien Employment Permit, allowing me to legally work for pay in China.



And last but not least, the culmination of several month's effort, dating back to while I was still living in Washington: my residence permit.  Doesn't look too different from a visa, but the devil is in the details -- the 02 SEP 2013 means I can go in and out of China as I please for a whole year.

These pictures don't really tell the full story, though.  Below is a long and boring list of the paperwork I had to apply for and receive leading up to the residence permit:

  • Invitation Letter of Duly Authorized Unit (procured and sent by my employer while I was still in the US)
  • Employment Authorization (procured and sent by my employer while I was still in the US...this required me to send to China a) an English translation of my diploma, which is in Latin, and b) an original copy of my official transcript)
  • Chinese Z (work) Visa (applied for by me in NY.  Takes about a week to turn around)
  • Medical Report (involves a 45 minute medical checkup in Shanghai, which has to be scheduled weeks in advance, a week after which they send you a cute little book with all of your medical history and details)
  • Employment Contract
  • Residential Contract
  • Proof of residence and landlord identification (you would think that the residence contract with my freaking name on it would be enough proof of residence.  But TIC (this is China).  So no.)
  • Temporary Residence Authorization (for this, I had to make several trips to the local police station before I had the proper materials.  You hand in your paperwork, they give you a sheet of paper.)
  • Employment Permit (the little red book you saw above.  For that you must surrender your passport for a week, while the government processes your application.  It's a bit disconcerting to have the Chinese government be in possession of the proof that you're an American citizen).
  • Residence Permit (an additional week-long surrendering of the passport, and FINALLY, you're done).
So.  Anyone want to move to China?



No comments:

Post a Comment