Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Shanghai New Year

I had another post in mind for today.  One of the things I'm discovering about blogging, though, is that it's silly to try and plan blog posts, because then you forget or, as in the case of this evening, something else comes along and demands attention.  So the other post will just have to wait.

I was invited by my Canadian roommate Serge to a Rosh Hashanah dinner this evening.  Were it not for his invitation (and my parents reminder earlier this week), I likely would have forgotten entirely that it was Rosh Hashanah this weekend (the Jewish guilt is fairly low on this point.  I feel that I would've been granted a Get Out of Jail Free had I forgotten considering I just, you know, moved across the world to a country that one would assume had maybe thirteen Jews total).

In fact, there are more than thirteen Jews in China.  At least 7 or so more, and at least those 20 live in Shanghai, and all gathered this evening at the Greek Taverna Milos for a lovely dinner to ring in the new year.  There was no shofar, but there was good ouzo and wine and, more importantly, good cheer spread around the long table to go with the plentiful and hearty Greek chow.

As far as Rosh Hashanah dinners go, it was far from perfect.  It began with the significantly overwhelmed wait staff fumbling around for enough menus, silverware, and organization to handle our group.  It got to the point where everyone involved wondered whether we would get our food before 5774.  Add that to the fact that I was the only non-smoker out of 20 (which, by definition, makes you a smoker whether you like it or not), the notable absence of my mother's pot roast, and the financial expenditure that came with the evening, and you've got a Rosh Hashanah dinner that leaves something to be desired.

And then one remembers that he's in Shanghai, surrounded by excitement and language and new experiences but lacking in one thing - the feeling of being home - and the Rosh Hashanah experience takes on its own special kind of perfect.  Who knows if this group will become a central part of my eventual social scene here.  But they were my Jewish family tonight, and for that I was grateful.

L'shanah tovah to all back home.  I miss you all.

Some pictures from the evening, including apples and honey:




1 comment:

  1. i am making the brisket tonight. I could mail you some....

    ReplyDelete